By using premade store bought puff pastry you can make this tasty fall treat up super fast! Add a bit of extra sweetness with the optional Glaze! You can also put sprinkles on top of the glaze for a bit of color!
And if you don’t like apples you can use pears, cherries, Strawberries or any number of fruits! I’d not use anything citrus though.
You will need!
- 2 Granny Smith apples
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 box puff pastry sheets, defrosted (need 2 sheets)
- 1 egg
For optional Drizzle glaze
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar 195 grams
- 3-5 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Extra optional – sprinkles
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Apple peeler
- Baking sheet
- Pastry brush
- Baking rack
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Peel and core the apples. Then cut them into small cubes and place them into a bowl.
- Add 2 tablespoons of sugar (keep 1 tablespoon aside) and the cinnamon to the apples and mix until well combined.
- Unfold the puff pastry sheets, sprinkle with a tiny bit of flour, then flatten them with a rolling pin to remove the precut lines. Try to keep a square shape when flattening. Repeat with the second sheet.
- Cut the pastry sheets in four squares each. Divide the cut apples over the sheets (place it on half of the sheet in a triangle shape) and fold diagonally.
- Place all triangles onto a baking sheet
- Cut the edges of the puff pastry evenly if necessary and close them by pushing down with a fork on the edges.
- Whisk the egg in a small bowl until smooth. Brush the egg over each appelflap and sprinkle the remaining sugar over them.
- Bake the appelflappen in the oven for about 25 minutes, or until golden brown.
- When they are done, place them on a baking rack to cool off for at least 15 minutes.
- Sift the powdered sugar into a medium-size bowl.
- Add the heavy cream a tablespoon at a time until you reach the consistency you’d like your icing or drizzle to be, whisking in between each addition.
- Add vanilla extract (or your favorite flavor).
- Whisk well and immediately drizzle or spread over cookies, cakes or breads.
- Add sprinkles if you want