It’s Easter weekend! This is a muggle treat that you can make at home with just a little bit of practice to get the shape right! That’s really the harvest part and if you have some blobs…well at least they are festive blobs!
And it’s SO much tastier this way! Marshmallows always taste best when fresh!
These will just make the chick shaped ones not the bunnies. And no wacky flavours though you could get some other flavours of extracts to use instead of just Vanilla if you wanted.
You will need!
- 1 cup sugar for each color
- food coloring, any type the amount will vary according to how strong you want the color.
- 1 packet gelatine
- ⅓ cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- cocoa powder + tiny bit of water, optional – for eyes
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Ziplock bags
- Candy thermometer
- Food brush
- Piping bag
- Large piping tip
- 1 shallow dish or plate per sugar color
- Small round brush or qtip
- Combine 1 cup sugar in a Ziplock bag with the colouring.
- Mix until well combined, several minutes. If the colours not bright enough for you add more colour slowly to not end up with goo.
- Sift larger pieces out.
- In the mixer bowl, put ⅓ cup cold water.
- Empty the packet of gelatine over water and let sit while you make the sugar mixture.
- In a saucepan, combine 1 cup sugar and ¼ cup water. Swirl to combine well.
- Using a candy thermometer, heat over medium heat until it reaches the soft ball stage (238 F). Do not stir during this process. If crystals form on pan walls, use a brush with water to dissolve it back down.
- When at 238 F, remove from heat and slowly pour into the mixer bowl with the gelatine. Stir by hand for a couple minutes to break any gelatine lumps.
- When cooled slightly, place onto the mixer a whisk attachment and combine at medium-high speed until white and somewhat stiff. About 8-9 minutes.
- Immediately transfer to a large piping bag (14″ works well) with ½” tip. Alternatively, if you don’t have those you can use a gallon Ziplock bag with corner cut.
- Place a thin layer of the coloured sugar into a plate or shallow dish then pipe a 2 inch line of marshmallow fluff. If it doesn’t hold its shape it’s a little too warm and just let it cool a bit longer till it’s stiffer.
- On Top of the line place a dot and while still squeezing pull back then forwards to make a “swoop” for the head. This is tricky and it’s ok to mess it up till you get it right. Deformed peeps still taste good! If you really wanna be perfect though, just use magic to make the shape.
- Use a spoon to cover marshmallow chicks with sugar by lightly shaking the rest onto it.. Let cool for 30 mins on the tray.
- While cooling mix a lil bit of coco powder with water and use a qtip or brush to dot on eyes. You just need a LITTLE bit of this
- Once fully cooled and set your done!