Well, it’s the Friday before HALLOWEEN! So here’s a fun fizzy Halloween Pumpkin treat in honor of that… If you can’t find pre-made pumpkin vodka there’s a way to make it explained but you’ll need to do that a week ahead of time.
You will need!
- 1/4 cup of pumpkin vodka
- Roasted Pumpkin
- Brown sugar
- Pumpkin Pie spice
- Cinnamon stick
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup of glucose syrup or Corn syrup
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- a mixture of white sugar and citric acid
- orange food gel
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- candy thermometer
- candy making gloves
- silicone mat
- oiled scissors
- First, make the Pumpkin Vodka if you can’t find it premade. To make that you infuse 250ml vodka with slices of roasted pumpkin, 1 tbsp brown sugar, 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice, 1 cinnamon stick, and 1/2 tsp vanilla. Then let it all sit for a week or so. When you’re ready to use it, pour it through a strainer. I dunno if it tastes good on its own.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, stir together the pumpkin vodka, white sugar, syrup, and cream of tartar. Stir until it’s mixed together, then let it come to a boil until it reaches 300°F or the hard crack stage. (The Alcohol will cook out)
- As it’s cooking, roll out the silicone mat.
- In a large shallow dish, pour in the white sugar and citric acid mix.
- When it reaches the hard crack stage, pour in 1 tsp of pumpkin vodka for extra flavor and stir in orange food gel for color.
- Pour the candy liquid onto the silicone mat.
- Pull on your gloves, and when the candy starts to cool enough to touch, fold the edges into the middle so the candy cools at the same pace.
- Once it’s cool enough to pick up, start kneading the candy and twist it into a long rope.
- Take your oiled scissors, and cut them into 1-inch-long pieces. As you’re cutting these pieces, toss them into the white sugar and citric acid mix and stir to coat. This will give it a coating and keep them from sticking to each other.