Here’s a super simple recipe for a super tasty cookie that will melt in your mouth.
You will need!
- 2 sticks (16 tablespoons) cold unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1/4 cup sanding, sparkling, or coarse sugar
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Stand mixer or electric hand mixer
- Rolling pin
- Cookie sheets
- Parchment paper
- Wire cooling rack
- Cream the butter and sugar. To do this you Cut 2 sticks cold unsalted butter into 1/2-inch cubes. Place the butter and 1/2 cup granulated sugar in a stand mixer. (Alternatively, use a large bowl and electric hand mixer.) Beat on low speed to break up the butter, then increase the speed to medium and beat until fluffy and lightened in color, about 3 minutes.
- Stop the mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Add 1 large egg and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, and beat on medium speed until combined.
- With the mixer on low speed, slowly add 2 cups all-purpose flour and 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, and beat until just incorporated. Use a rubber spatula to scrape down the sides of the bowl and make sure the dough is evenly mixed.
- Remove the dough from the bowl and shape into a smooth rectangle. Lightly dust the rectangle with flour. Place between 2 sheets of parchment paper, then roll into a rough 9×12-inch rectangle about 1/4-inch thick. Place the dough, still in the parchment, on a baking sheet. Freeze until firm, 20 to 30 minutes, or refrigerate 1 to 2 hours.
- Turn the oven to 350ºF to preheat it. Whisk the remaining 1 large egg with 1 teaspoon water together in a small bowl. Arrange 2 racks to divide the oven into thirds and heat the oven to 350°F.
- Remove the top sheet of parchment from the dough. Using a pizza cutter or knife, cut the dough into 36 (1.5×2-inch) rectangles. Arrange the cookies 1-inch apart on 2 ungreased, unlined aluminum baking sheets (not nonstick), about 18 cookies per sheet.
- Brush the top of the cookies with the egg wash and sprinkle with 1/4 cup sanding or coarse sugar.
- Bake the cookies until firm and lightly golden-brown, rotating the baking sheets between racks and from front to back halfway through, 10 to 14 minutes total.
- Let the cookies cool for 5 minutes on the baking sheets. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.