I’m sure we’ve all seen variations of these cookies and even enjoyed them, Without having any idea they were Blugarian in origin!
You can use whatever jam you like for the filing! I like Strawberry myself. And these look like they are complicated but are really super simple!
Side note, in weird muggle holidays, today is Bake Cookies day!
You will need!
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup lard or butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 jar tart jam (like rosehip, plum, raspberry, or apricot)
- Garnish: confectioner’s sugar
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- 2 ½ inch Cookie cutters (round is best, with or without a pretty edge, but long as you can cut a hole in the middle of it use whatever shape you want, stars would look lovely! And hearts!
- Cookie sheets
- Cooling racks
- Parchment paper
- Gather the ingredients. Preheat oven to 375 F.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs and sugar until light and foamy, about 5 minutes.
- Melt the lard or butter and let cool slightly. When cooled to room temperature, add it slowly to the egg-sugar mixture with the vanilla, mixing constantly.
- Whisk together flour and baking powder; slowly add it to the egg mixture to create a firm dough.
- Roll out the dough to 1/8-inch thick on parchment-lined baking pans and cut with a round cutter.
- Cut out a hole in the centre of half of the cookies and remove scraps.
- Bake for about 8 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool completely.
- Re-roll scraps and repeat. Until you have used up as much as possible, Then make a blob cookie with the bit you can’t fit into the cutter.
Sprinkle the cookies with holes with confectioner’s sugar. Spread cookies without holes with a jam of choice. Press together jam-filled cookie with holed-cookies to form a sandwich.