The Owl Post previously published articles from witches and wizards across the country, and even the globe, to showcase many different job roles you may face in your Life Beyond Hogwarts. (If interested in a reread, feel free to speak to an Owl Post member for our older copies)
You may notice, currently, 5th year students are (OR SHOULD BE) discussing with their Heads of Houses their OWL and NEWT subjects and how it relates to their future aspirations. In recent weeks The Daily Prophet has reached out to The Owl Post to liaise a ‘sponsored article’ from them. The Daily Prophet, in the months of May through to August, can be found to advertise graduate jobs and have decided to expand to assist sixth year students in finding work experience to enhance their curriculum vitae (C.V.)/resumé when they graduate.
Why should you be interested?
As mentioned previously, work experience over the summer months provides padding for your C.V. when you graduate. It also enables you to forge connections with the wizarding world for when you do graduate, potentially landing you in jobs further up the ladder!
Who do you need to contact?
Send a letter to your Head of House to organise a meeting discussing which work experience roles you are interested in. Your Head of House will contact the necessary people and relay any required information back to you
Gryffindor – Professor Vikander
Hufflepuff – Professor Priaulx
Ravenclaw – Professor Green
Slytherin – Professor Rask
What do I need?
- An enthusiasm in the field you’re interested in
- A cover letter detailing your personality, why you’re interested in the position, your OWLs, your predicted NEWTs
- A reference from your Head of House
- Further references if you feel it to be necessary
What work experiences positions are open and what does it involve?
- The Daily Prophet – working at The Daily Prophet involves early mornings and late nights to assist in the publishing of the newspaper. You will be allocated to a member of the staff who will take you under their wing to guide you in the day to day runnings of the paper, they may take you to press conferences, breaking news events, and more
- St. Mungo’s Hospital for Magical Maladies and Injuries – Due to the complexity of healing, positions at St. Mungo’s will involve shadowing the reception witch with the potential of spending hours shadowing the healers and mediwitches and wizards
- The Ministry of Magic – Muggle Relations, a subdepartment of the Magical Law Enforcement Squad, will take a student with them into the muggle world whilst they conduct investigations with the chance to observe Wizengamot trials.
- The Ministry of Magic – Department of Magical Games and Sports, are looking for a student eager to work assisting in administration. Students must be enthusiastic about all aspects of Magical Sports.
- The Ministry of Magic – Office of Misinformation, a subdepartment of the Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures, will take a student with them on their frequent expeditions to Loch Ness to observe for any breaches to the Statute of Secrecy
- The Ministry of Magic – Auror Office, a subdepartment of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement, will take on students who have an enthusiasm and aptitude for detective work and law enforcement. The position will be primarily administration, for the student’s safety, however at the supervising Auror’s discretion students may be taken out for low risk investigative work
- The Ministry of Magic – Department of the Minister for Magic, will take one student who is enthusiastic about working within the political side of the Ministry. They will work directly under the Minister for Magic’s assistant learning about policies and protocols.
- The Ministry of Magic – Beast Division, a subdepartment of the Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures, will take a student on an exciting expedition through the dangerous work of the Beast Division. Students will get to see how the Beast Division liaises and manages beasts and potential beast-related threats and will shadow renowned wizarding hero, Percius I. Fletcher
- Quality Quidditch Supplies/Spintwitches Sporting Needs – For all you Quidditch fans the famous Quality Quidditch Supplies and Spintwitches Sporting Needs – who hold branches in Diagon Alley and Hogsmeade, respectively – will be taking on ONE shop assistant for each branch who will assist in the shops day to day running with the chance of going on buying trips.
- The Three Broomsticks – Hogsmeade doesn’t stop just because school is out and The Three Broomsticks sees record numbers in the warmer months so are vying for an enthusiastic work experience student to learn about the running of a pub.
- Magical Menagerie/Eeylops Owl Emporium – The Hogsmeade branch of Magical Menagerie and the world renowned Diagon Alley Eeylops Owl Emporium are both looking for students with a keen interest in caring for magical creatures to assist in day to day shop activities
- Flourish and Blotts – The buyer for Flourish and Blotts has expressed an interest in a student with an affinity for books, reading and learning, to assist them on their trips across the country this summer
- Madam Malkins – An enthusiasm for Homemaking Magic will be needed for work experience at Madam Malkins where the work experience student will assist with the running of the shop and assist in creating some of the finest robes
- J. Pippin’s Potions – An affinity for potions is essential in this role where you will work with the buying team for the Hogsmeade Apothecary likely working between the London and Hogsmeade branches to select the finest ingredients to sell.
- Le Cirque de Sorcieres – Enthusiasm, talent, a loud voice, willingness to travel the country (if placement is extended beyond two weeks) is needed to join Le Cirque de Sorcieres as an addition to the team.
- Gringotts – A head for maths and arithmancy is needed to assist the goblins at Gringotts, there is the potential for travel so being of age is preferable with an aptitude for Defence Against the Dark Arts and Charms
- Experimental Potioneering Assistant – Hogsmeade-based Experimental Potioneer Alistair Rook is seeking a workshop assistant to help him over the summer. Applicants should have high OWLs in Potions, Magical Theory, and Alchemy. Must possess a strong stomach, BYOB (bring your own bezoar).
- Honeydukes – Hogsmeade based, world famous Honeydukes Sweet Shop has expressed interest in a student with an enthusiasm for Homemaking Magic, candies, and wonder to assist them in the making of magical candies and day to day shop activities.
- Shoeburyness Reserve – Enthusiasm and a love for Magical Creatures is required in this position as the owners will be looking for a student who isn’t afraid of getting their hands dirty and helping care for the magical creatures who reside here. Must not be afraid to interact with creatures.
Make sure to organise your meeting with your Head of House and prepare your cover letter, it doesn’t hurt to ask for additional references prior to the meeting too! If you have requests for other lines of work your Head of House will do their best to assist in organising this however cannot make any guarantees.
(Editor’s Note: At this time all Hogsmeade internships may be reduced to the assistance in cleaning and restoring the village to its proper state.)