Rules are here to keep the sim as fun as possible! If you do not agree with our rules and cannot follow them, we regret to inform you that Mischief Managed may not be the RPG for you. The rules in here are long but we have them so that all of our members can enjoy a safe environment. You are presented with these rules upon application to roleplay and upon acceptance, so if you don’t take the time to read them, you are still responsible for adhering to them! We also will not hesitate to ban and report you should you break the Linden Labs ToS or our fundamental rules.
Breaking OOC rules result in a Strike in our Strike System. The Strike System is in place to keep the sim focused on roleplay. Information on the Strike System can be found below.
Respect for ourselves and others around us is one of the many little things that make the entire RPG enjoyable for everyone, not just yourself. We at Mischief Managed require that you respect your fellow roleplayers OOCly so that we may create a fun and friendly environment for all. We are aware that nobody can be everybody’s friend, but respect has nothing to do with that. Also respect the OOC staff members (admins, moderators, etc.). When an OOC staff member raises a concern or suggestion to you, follow it. If you disagree with a staff member, speak to another one, and if nothing is resolved, we ask you to please remain courteous and civil. Otherwise, we will look into disciplinary action. The staff give their time freely to keep the sim open and flowing, so please be polite!
KEEP IC IC
One of the most important rules of all is that what is IC must remain IC. While everyone is here for the enjoyment of exploring Harry’s world through our character’s perspective, we must realize that this is all entirely fiction. Some people are perfectly nice and fun in the real world, but like to play snobby Slytherins or overly cocky Gryffindors, etc. Realize that this is their character, not themselves! If something happens in IC that affects you negatively OOCly, don’t let it get to you and DO NOT attack/harass other players. No one likes that nor will they appreciate it. If you feel that you are being OOCly harassed, please IM an Admin or an ALO. Please note that IC issues taken OOC can have any and all parties involved temporarily or permanently banned until the problem is sorted.
DO NOT METAGAME OR GODMOD
Metagaming, Godmodding and Powergaming are strictly forbidden and they will result in a temporary or permanent ban from the sim according to the severity of the infraction. This is at the discretion of the admins.
- METAGAMING: Metagaming is using knowledge gained outside of the RP to impact RP. For example, if someone you’re friends with outside of the RP tells you about this hilarious thing that happened in an RP for which your character was not present, your character cannot roleplay as if they know about it! They must be told ICly, first.
- GODMODDING: Godmodding is roleplaying your character as if they have no flaws, are unbeatable, can stand up to teachers with no consequence, etc. It’s just no fun for everyone else, and truly, for yourself either. The most fun characters to roleplay are the quirky, the flawed, and the human. If you struggle to come up with a character that’s got a bit more depth, our RolePlay Department would love to help you flesh your student/staff member out!
- POWERGAMING: Powergaming is when you take control of the RP and force others into actions. Each roleplayer has complete control over their character, and cannot under any circumstances be forced into an action without consent. That means that you cannot cast a spell without giving them an out. Actions roleplayed against others should be phrased in a way that gives the control to the person being affected by the action. For example:
- Good example:
Mikael holds his arm out, staring down his dueling partner across the long stage. As soon as the professor shoots green sparks and begins the duel, Mikael casts his first spell. “Expelliarmus!” he roars, aiming at his dueling partner and hoping the spell hits home.
- Bad example:
Mikael holds his arm out, staring down his dueling partner across the long stage. As soon as the professor shoots green sparks and begins the duel, Mikael casts his first spell. “Expelliarmus!” he roars, hitting his dueling partner square in the chest and seeing her wand fly out of her hand.
- Good example:
KEEP TO REGISTERED CHARACTERS
Unannounced Alts (Alternate Accounts) are a big offense. When you apply, we must know the other characters you have active so that we can keep tabs on whether or not you have too many going at once, as well as keep track of serious OOC offenses. If we discover you playing or attempting to apply an unregistered alt, your alt application will be thrown out and could result in a ban depending on the seriousness of the offense.
NEVER AGE PLAY
No Age Play under any circumstance. If found out the player(s) will be permanently banned and a report will be submitted to LL. We are a PG Roleplay, therefore everything that happens on the sim has to be PG, be it language, clothing or actions. No obscene behavior, no visible genitalia, no nudity or semi-nudity. Don’t know if what you’re doing/wearing is acceptable? Contact an admin, moderator, another player, or the check the Dresscode. We will never punish you if you ask — we might respect you even more.
Player inclusion must be observed at all times. Please do not be selfish and egotistic in your roleplay and ignore the people around you — this is a form of disrespect to your fellow roleplayers. If you come into a scene, stay around for a couple of post to assess the scene or IM players to see if a post order is being observed or a plot in which you can enter is in place. If you enter a role play scene with absolutely no care for the situation already unfolding, you are basically rendering the other players’ posts worthless. Likewise, if you ignore new people on the scene because you dislike their roleplay style or dislike them OOCly, that is another form of disrespect. Even if your character would never be seen interacting with them (We’re looking at you, Slytherins!), roleplay it out.
We accept a wide variety of RP style and NONE of them are the “real” or “best” ones. We open our sim to One-liner RP, Semi-Para RP and Para RP, past, present, and future tense. While there are certain times and places for certain types of RP (multi-paragraph is a bit much for the classroom setting, for example), we do not condone any disagreement with a certain roleplayers style and we do not tolerate roleplayers disregarding a person due to how they roleplay. If you think someone needs help with their roleplay or is roleplaying in such a way that you cannot continue with the scene, please try to discuss it with them first to see if you can agree to a solution. If that doesn’t work, notify a member of the RPD or an admin and we will happily step in as a 3rd party and help.
STAY IC AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE
Extensive OOC chat in a roleplay area is not tolerated. OOC chat should be kept to a minimum and use of OOC on chatter of (( )) or /5 (with MM’s official titler) during OOC sim presence should be adhered to. If you need to discuss something OOCly, please take it to IMs. Also, feel free to have a private IM chat running with everyone in the scene so you can comment or laugh about posts freely — just keep it out of the roleplay itself!
FOLLOW THE LINDEN LABS TERMS OF SERVICE
Follow the Linden Lab Terms of Service (ToS) at all costs. Failure to do so will result in a permanent ban, with zero exceptions.
BE AWARE OF WHAT IS OFFICIAL AND WHAT IS NOT
The Admins do not endorse any type of student/house groups in Second Life aside from our own official groups. The only Official Mischief Managed ones will have HogwartsMischiefManaged as the creator. If you don’t see this, then the group you are joining is not officially endorsed by us; there is no way for us to monitor the activity in the Group. Please note that founding, being part of an unauthorized group and/or poaching members for an unofficial group could result in a ban as the Admins see fit. If you would like to form an unendorsed or endorsed group, please read our Student-formed Groups Policy and contact one of the Admins, as they’re perfectly acceptable within reason!
The Strike System
The Strike System is how we manage OOC rulebreaking at Mischief Managed. Strikes are only applied to OOC infractions (playing IC pranks on fellow students might result in detention but is never in danger of a Strike!), and only OOC Staff may deal with them. Should an OOC Staff member believe a roleplayer is breaking a sim rule in such a way that a Strike should be applied, they will contact an Admin and plead their case. The Admin will then contact the person in question, as there are always two sides to every story. If the Admin decides that a Strike shall be applied, then a Strike is put on record for the individual. Strikes are applied OOCly, so if you have three strikes, one each from three different characters you play in sim, that counts as Three Strikes against you. It is up to the Admins whether or not a Strike will be applied, and we do give out Warnings. We also may or may not escalate to 2, 3, or 4 Strikes right away depending on the situation at hand or how it’s being handled by the rule breaker. The Strike System is in place to keep the roleplaying fair and fun, so as long as you’re not a wet blanket or dressing inappropriately, you’ll probably never have to worry about a thing.
In addition to the items above, some more behavior on sim that might result in a Strike includes:
- Inappropriate attire (revealing clothing, undressing)
- Sexually oriented items (Muggle or wizard porn magazines)
- Alcohol (Butterbeer is not alcoholic!)
- Drugs (includes suggestive material)
- Tattoos/Piercings (Applies to students only. Tattoos/piercings on Professors must not be offensive but may be visible.)
- Prim Genitalia or breasts
- Inappropriate RP (streaking, stripping, sexual remarks)
- Insulting other members or staff OOCly
- Stalking other members OOCly
- Harassing other members OOCly
- Taking IC OOC and creating a hostile environment
- Ignoring OOC Staff direction and advice
- Failure to act within the limitations of your character, and failure to respond to others (including NPC creatures) appropriately.
- Unannounced Alts
- Punishment: Warning or Ban (depending on severity)
- Previously warned of the above behavior(s)
- Punishment: Three day to one week ban (contingent upon severity)
- Received one warning and a 3 day ban for any matter
- Punishment: Two week ban to Permaban (contingent upon severity)
- Continual flouting of rules
- Punishment: One month ban to Permaban (contingent upon severity)
- Nudity with refusal to dress
- Harassing or cursing at OOC Staff or Admins
- Sexual activity (IC or OOC) on sim
- Harassing Roleplayers OOCly (to an extent)
Mischief Managed is strictly No Drama Allowed. We are here to roleplay our own tales in the Potterverse, and we do not tolerate those who wish to ruin it for everyone else. If you feel someone is abusing the sim, or that you’ve been accused wrongly, please contact an Admin directly. By applying your character to the sim, you are presented with these rules both during the application and upon acceptance, and you agree to the terms. If you do not agree to follow these rules to the best of your ability, do not apply a character at Mischief Managed. Thank you!