When I asked Lex and Drayan what their favorite treats where, Drayan spoke of a candy I had never heard of, Brigadeiros. Which he said a friend of his family brought some back from Brazil once. So I owled my mum, who then went down to Brazil to learn more about them! They came in recently and it was great to surprise him with them! Plus she got the recipe so we can make more when ever we like. And I’m going to share that now..
That’s what my mum does for the family by the way. So it wasn’t out of the ordinary. She travels the world learning about new types of candy and sweets. So she did that when I asked her about Brigadeiros.
Anyway! Brigadeiros! It’s a pretty easy to make fudge based treat, kinda a mix of truffle and a bonbon. Apparently its eaten a birthday parties a lot down in Brazil. And they can be customized with different toppings!
There are also two ways to make them, one calls for eggs and its a bit creamier, the other leaves those out. The egg one is an older recipe and not used that much anymore so I’m going to use the one used more today!
So onto the recipe!
You will need!
- 1 (14oz) can sweet condensed milk
- 4 Tbsp cocoa powder, sifted
- 2 Tbsp butter, plus more for rolling balls
- A pinch of salt
- Chocolate sprinkles, Colored sprinkles sprinkles, chopped nuts, colored sugars, cookie crumbs or basically whatever you’d like to roll them in you like
- Small saucepan OR your Cauldron thoroughly cleaned
- Small bowls or plates – 1 for each kind of topping
- Paper or foil mini cupcake cups
- Wooden spoon or spatula
- Wand (optional)
- In a small saucepan, or your cauldron mix the sweet condensed milk, the cocoa powder, the salt and the butter.
- Heat it over medium-low heat
- Let it simmer and cook for a while until it thickens. But be constantly stirring otherwise you will burn it!. This is super easy of you can cast the stirring spell, otherwise you gotta do it by hand. You will know its ready when you run your wooden spoon (or spatula) in the middle of the mixture. If it takes a while for the mixture to move, then its ready for the next step! Do not over cook!
- Turn off the heat and let it cool to room temperature.
- In a plate or bowl, spread your sprinkles. If your using more then one spread them out on the table!
- Also arrange your paper mini cupcake cups on a tray.
- Once the brigadeiro is cool, grease your hands with butter and roll the brigadeiros into little balls. You can also use your wand for this step and keep your hands clean by using the levitation spell. You should be shooting for about the size of a large gobstone. Using around a teaspoon of the mix at a time.
- Roll the brigadeiro balls into the sprinkles or whatever you are coating them in and place one in each cupcake cup.