Are you stuck in a dreary, drafty castle for the holidays? Looking forward to some peace and quiet in the library, or curled up in your common room without all those pesky people running around? Or are you wishing for some more excitement?
Either way, Owl Post has you covered with the premiere events at Hogwarts over the Christmas Break! Now that everyone’s headed home, take a look inside for our guide to the best things to do for the next two weeks while you have the castle all to yourself! (Well, you and a few dozen of your new closest friends!)
December 21: Christmas Feast Just because it’s Christmas doesn’t mean the House Elves are taking time off! The dedicated team under Abner will still be cooking up meals, and the Christmas Feast is not one to miss! All your favourites from roast turkey and hams to a dozen types of stuffing and four types of cranberry sauce will be available, our intrepid reporters have determined. “Ey, you! Get outta’ the kitchens!” shouted Abner, lead house elf, after spotting our reporter skulking about to get an advance view of the menu. “If ye filch anythin’ I’ll put YOU on the menu!”
January 2nd: Hogwarts Express Returns!
The Hogwarts Express will be returning on January 2nd, full of all your favourite (or least favourite!) students returning to the castle. The train arrives promptly at 3 p.m., so make sure you’ve removed your pillow forts from the commons and packed all your things back away into your part of the dorms. (We know some of you plan to push beds together and enjoy being able to really spread out for a change!)
“The holidays are my favourite time of the year. No parchments to grade. No students to chastise or keep on track of their studies. It is time for everyone to rest and recover before the next term,” said Professor Banks. “Do I daydream about the trains running off of the rails? Very rarely. If I do…well…wait…where was I going? Never mind.”
Are you looking for more things to fill your days? Not satisfied with snooping through empty classrooms? Well, no fears, as the editors and staff of the Owl Post have compiled an exhaustive list of officially sanctioned activities for you to engage in. (Ed. Note: All listed activities are at your own risk.)
- Look out for one another! It’s the time of year where people are feeling a bit lonely and could really use some support! Keep an eye out over your shoulder for anyone looking to cast a stray Petrificus Totalus your way! (Ed. Note: What? That is NOT what I meant! Oh well.)
- Castle Exporation! Bored and lonely during the holiday break? Take time out of your busy schedule of stuffing your face with Chocolate Frogs and Bertie Bott’s Every Flavour Beans to explore the castle! See just how many locked doors that new Alohomora spell you first years have been learning will work on! (Ed. Note: Owl Post is not responsible for any detentions obtained or lives lost while prying where you’re not meant to be. Oh, and don’t touch the Owl Post Office Door)
- W-W Tag! A fine Hogwarts Tradition, do your best to dodge the swinging arms of the Whomping Willow! Bets to be placed, bruises to be earned, and a story you’ll tell for the rest of your life. (If you remember, at least.) (Ed. Note: Uuuhhh…. Please don’t…)
- Polar Squid Swim! A fine Hogwarts Winter Tradition! Take a swim in the lake with the Giant Squid. Just go out ice skating on the lake and when the squid breaks the ice to take a breather, simply dive on in with our majestic cthulian lake creature. Hot Air Charms on standby are recommended! (Ed. Note: … Where do you even come up with these?)
- Sing to your heart’s content! Tis the season to be jolly! So belt out those fa-la-las and carols to your heart’s content- almost no-one is around to complain, even when you’re terribly off-key! For those of us who are, earplugs can be made from a bit of candle wax and cotton balls, or you can always practice your aim with the Silencio charm! (Ed. Note: …. Fine, okay.)
- Enchanted Snowball Fight! An excellent way to learn more about your fellow stay-behinds and Professors, dumping snow down someone’s robes before taking off down the Long Gallery is an excellent way to find out who has a sense of humor and who’s more likely to throw you in detention for the rest of your natural life! (Iaculur Ningues is perfect for that quick getaway, or take the time to get the Glacius spell just right and turn the entire Grande Staircase into an icy wonderland!) (Ed. Note: The Owl Post is… STILL not responsible for any injuries or deaths which occur whilst following the advice in this article.)
- Make New Friends! Are you a Lion that’s never met a Snake you didn’t hate? Or are you an Eagle that’s never taken your nose out of a book to meet a Badger? Here’s your chance! With so few students staying at the castle, it’s the perfect time to start up a whole new round of life-long grudges and rivalries! (Ed. Note: Who wrote this article? Can I keep them?)
- Get to know your Professors! It’s their time for vacation too, and that means your Professors will let their guard down! That makes it the perfect time to wheedle your way into their good-graces and guarantee yourself something better than that ‘Troll’ you got on the midterms! (Ed. Note: Okay but this is pretty good advice.)
- Explore the Library! With fewer students, and more importantly, Prefects nosing into your business, the holidays are the perfect time to take your time and peruse the entire library, including the restricted section! A magical lock may defeat your charms, but a bobby pin and a fork will make quick work of even the most hardened of enchantments! (Ed. Note: Uh…. wot. No they wo- Actually, can I watch you try this?)