The Christmas Holidays around Hogwarts, although magical, can be rather boring on a student who has elected, for whatever reason, to stay behind in the castle and that’s why we’ve put together this list of ten things to do over the break.
- Throw away any notions about the other houses, get out of the commons and explore. Make new friends. There are secret passages and rooms to be discovered! The castle is basically your playground with everyone else is gone.
- Get a professor to escort you to hogsmeade, you would be surprised who you could run into there.
- Practice your magical skills in the ‘mundane’ ways (as Professor Maclodon encourages us to do). Want to launch a surprise attack on a professor (and who knows, you might get into an epic snowball fight with them)? Iaculor Ningues would be your weapon of choice. Or, some of our more creative students last winter made use of Glacius and created an ice skating rink inside of the long gallery. Be creative–you never know what you will come up with.
- Attend the Holiday Feast! If you think that the opening year feast is amazing. That’s all that can really be said about it. Ah-maz-ing
- Look out for each other especially at Christmas, there are some students who don’t have family or a home and especially around Christmas need friends or knowing there is someone there. (On a side note, have a hanky or three handy as well, you never know when someone might be weepy during this time as well.)
- Put all rivalries and grudges to the side, because the christmas holiday is one time of the year when everything is /supposed/ to be peaceful so by putting all your grudges and rivalries aside you can show your christmas spirit if you are unsure how to in other ways.
- As odd as this sounds, get to know your professors who stay behind. They become your family while you are here at Hogwarts and sometimes, it is good just to talk to an adult about the stuff that is going on.
- Try to organise an inter house slumber party/ sleepover. I haven’t done this one before but I’m sure it could be done. Just got to get a bit…creative (do you see a theme here?)
- Purely a nerdy suggestion but it is well worth your time. Explore the library. There are so many books there that are just begging to be read without having homework to go along with it.
- Think of games to play around the castle (safe games) one i played a lot with friends was hide and seek playing this around a castle can be extra fun with all the hidden areas and statues you can impersonate oh on that note don’t hide in suits of armour , some may try to eject you from them!.
Bonus: If this list doesn’t get you through those long couple of weeks you could always do homework.