Hello readers! This week’s topic is something that I’ve begun to notice a lot of people are clueless about.
Who hasn’t seen someone attractive and battled with whether or not to pursue them? Plenty of people, because asexual aromantics exist. But today this addresses those of you that have or may soon experience this. Today’s topic will address important matters such as how to tell if someone reciprocates your feelings, what to do if they do seem to, and what to do if you find out they don’t. I present to you:
How To Tell If Someone Fancies You
One thing people seem to struggle with is telling the difference between someone who likes you just as a friend, and someone who is interested. The stronger your own crush is, the more likely you are to read into a person’s words and actions, so sometimes we can confuse someone’s polite or friendly nature as more. So, here are some signs to look for that may tell you if someone has a crush.
- They may have the tendency to try to get you alone. If your crush has the tendency to try to linger around with you when others leave, or ask you to go somewhere with them (alone) for whatever reason, they may be trying to spend some one-on-one time with you to open up or get to know you better. It can sometimes be difficult to see what someone is really like in a group situation.
- Physical signs – Blushing, touching you, or touching some part of their face or hair, are all signs of attraction. Humans also sometimes do something called ‘mirroring’ which is repeating someone’s body language subconsciously. Test it out – If you’re sitting and you rest your cheek in your hand, they may do so as well. If they don’t mirror you, don’t take that as a sign that they don’t like you, but if they do you can take it as an indicator that they are at least comfortable around you.
- They may remember little things about you. If your crush is also crushing on you, they may also be paying attention to little things that you say or do, looking for signs that you fancy them. If you notice that your crush has remembered something random about you such as your favourite flower or flavour of ice cream, or that you prefer milk over pumpkin juice, it may be a sign that they’re paying close attention.
- They seem nervous for some reason. Being around your crush can be equal parts exhilarating and stressful. Some people are calm and cool under pressure, but the vast majority of people are rarely suave. Nervousness, blushing (again), stammering and even sweating are all common symptoms of a crush. Or an exam coming up.
- They may do little things for you. Did they bring you a snack because they know how hard you’ve been studying? Have they ever carried your books, or cleaned up after you in potions without your asking them? If your crush has done nice little things for you, it might be a sign that they fancy you. This is something that good friends do as well, because it shows that you care about someone, but is one of the ways crushes present themselves as well.
Mr. Amortentia does not recommending using this list as some sort of checklist to determine if someone likes you. Remember that every person is different, and will show affection in different ways and to different degrees. It may be harder to tell that someone fancies you if they’re purposefully trying to hide it because they are shy, or if they are not an expressive person in general. But do consider some of the symptoms I’ve described, and if you notice them happening and piling up, it may be a good indicator that someone fancies you.
If you think that someone does fancy you.. Well. Continue reading Mr. Amortentia, because next issue will be: How to ask someone to date.